“After two solid weeks of Republicans rapidly escalating attacks on contraception access under the banner of “religous freedom,” Obama finally announced what the White House is proposing an accomodation of religiously affiliated employers who don’t want to offer birth control coverage as part of their insurance plans. In those situations, the insurance companies will have to reach out directly to employees and offer contraception coverage for free, without going through the employer. Insurance companies are down with the plan, because as Matt Yglesias explained at Moneybox, contraception actually saves insurance companies money, since it’s cheaper than abortion and far cheaper than childbirth. Because the insurance companies have to reach out to employees directly, there’s very little danger of women not getting coverage because they are unaware they’re eligible.
Some days the Internet makes me sad.
Some people on youtube are dumber than a sack of bricks. Seriously.
The video itself is fucking wrong. The pill was not stopped by feminists. Feminists support male contraceptives. That pill (Gossypol) he’s talking about was stopped because of severe side effects: hypokalemia (low potassium levels) and irreversible infertility (due to damage to the testes). His shitty pill didn’t work so he can stop blaming women now.
Here are some gems with GRAMMAR PROBLEMS preserved, because not only are these idiots, these are idiots who can’t spell or form proper sentences:
- “What makes me, intending to be an egalitarian and humanist, be in the MRM is, we lack a “matriarchy” universal power structure theory as an excuse to blame femininity for world’s suffering and ignore things like 85% of the opposite sex living on the streets, having 77% more cancer, which is 85% more deadly and still having less funding, etc.”
Really? First saying you’re about “equality” then saying “let’s blame women” does not fucking work. Those are opposites. And why is it women’s fault that the government (mostly controlled by men) isn’t funding these things?
- “while women make up less than18%of congress they make up 65% of the voting population(or did you forget that part)and as far as women in congress the men there are mainly sock puppets for the feminist/womenvoters”
Oh, I’m sure that’s why so many bills limiting/banning abortion have been passed.
- “Feminists oppose it because they know that sex and reproduction are their chief power in society.”
This is just straight up fucked up. Imagine someone saying, “I have so much power. I can pop out babies. Also I can have sex.” Anyone can have sex. And someone telling me that my main power in society is giving birth is messed up.
- “Feminists don’t want sexual equality.”
This is a major focus of feminism today. And tell me when women have sexual superiority. I’d like to see that. It’s not like women who have sex get judged or shamed or anything.
- “well who was worst? adam who ate the fruit eve brought to him or eve the one who knew she just fucked up and brought it to him anyway? women need to be under control. that is why they walking all out in public with the cracks off their ass showing in leggings and tight jeans. the lack of control over women truly disgustsing.”
This misogyny disgusts me. So does the spelling and grammar. This whole “controlling women” thing is fucked up.
- “So you make a law (like the ones we already have in the US) that require warnings. Let men decide if the risks are worth it or not.”
- “Whats great is that this protein is that its unique to sperm and will not effect anything else in the body. It has no side effects. When tested on mice, when the mice were no longer given the pill the males became fertile again in a very short period of time.”
Yeah totally wrong. In mice, the drug killed a lot of support cells (saw a journal article, too lazy to re-find it). No side effects in mice? Oh because drugs tested in animals ALWAYS have the EXACT same effect in people. High rates of permanent infertility, testicular damage, and hypokalemia sure sound like no side effects in people to me.
I am tired of replying to these dumbasses. I only responded in the first place because of the problematic science in the video/description. So this changed the subject from “OMG FEMINISTS ARE NAZIS WHO STEAL OUR BIRTH CONTROL BECAUSE THEY WANT TO FORCE US TO HAVE BABIES!!!1!” to “FEMINISTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG!!1!1”
I hate people.
Obama is a boss.
That’s the nitty-gritty. The fun part of this is that Obama just pulled a fast one on Republicans. He drew this out for two weeks, letting Republicans work themselves into a frenzy of anti-contraception rhetoric, all thinly disguised as concern for religious liberty, and then created a compromise that addressed their purported concerns but without actually reducing women’s access to contraception, which is what this has always been about. (As Dana Goldstein reported in 2010, before the religious liberty gambit was brought up, the Catholic bishops were just demanding that women be denied access and told to abstain from sex instead.) With the fig leaf of religious liberty removed, Republicans are in a bad situation. They can either drop this and slink away knowing they’ve been punked, or they can double down. But in order to do so, they’ll have to be more blatantly anti-contraception, a politically toxic move in a country where 99% of women have used contraception.”
So since the GOP is full of assholes who hate and oppress women, I’m voting for Obama. Very, very well played.